Maryland tax attorney Jim Liang, J.D., CPA, LL.M., is the founder and managing attorney of the Law Office of Jim Liang, LLC, based in Towson, Maryland, just north of Baltimore. Jim has over 18 years of experience as a Certified Public Accountant in Maryland, completing state and federal taxes for individuals, families, and businesses. He also has over 12 years of legal experience representing individuals, families, and businesses at every step of state and federal tax litigation, including audits, collections, and disputes with the IRS and Comptroller of Maryland.
Throughout his career, Jim has continually educated himself in order to serve his clients better. He became a Certified Public Accountant in 2000, earned his law degree with honors in 2006, and went on to earn his Master of Laws degree (LL.M.) in Taxation in 2007. Jim is one of the few attorneys in Maryland who have an LL.M. in Taxation. He is also one of only a few tax practitioners who are dual qualified as both an attorney and a Certified Public Accountant.
Jim has broad experience representing individuals and corporations that are being audited by the IRS or Comptroller of Maryland. He has handled many tax litigation cases and has kept many cases from needing litigation by reaching agreements that save his clients thousands of dollars in additional court costs and legal fees.
When not practicing law, Jim is active in his community in Lutherville Timonium, where he has been a longtime resident. His volunteer work has included providing local legal support through the Maryland Defense Force for the Maryland Military Department and Maryland National Guard members and their families. He has also served as an instructor for the Fort Meade Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program, which provides free income tax preparation to military members and their families.
- Collection Matters
- International Taxpayers
- Refund Claims
- Identity Theft
Admissions to Practice
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- University of Baltimore, LL.M., Taxation (2007)
- University of Baltimore, J.D., cum laude (2006)
- University of Maryland University College, B.S., Accounting (1998)
- Washington University, B.A. (1994)
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
Taxation Law Section (Tax Council, 2010-2016)
- Certified Public Accountant
- Volunteer, Maryland Defense Force (2011-2016)
- Instructor, Military Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program, Fort George G. Meade, Fort Meade, Maryland (2012-2017)
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Maryland
Board Member (2012-2016)
Board President (2014-2015)
Board Treasurer (2012-2013)
Awards and Honors
- Maryland Super Lawyers (2016-2018) - Tax
- Maryland Super Lawyers Rising Star (2012-2015) - Tax
- APABA-DC Lawyers of Color: Inaugural Hot List Honoree (2013)